This is an Editor job description template. Made for posting on job boards and careers sites. Feel free to edit and customize it.
We are looking for a competent Editor. You will ensure that the content is accurate and engaging enough to meet our standards of quality.
- Verify factual information contained within article submissions.
- Approve submissions for inclusion in the journal.
- Notify writers of the publication timeline, deadlines for 2nd and 3rd drafts.
- Monitor the design and aesthetic so that they meet the publication standards.
- Plan and coordinate to make sure content is delivered timely.
- Proofread and make suggested edits to submissions and discuss the changes with the authors.
- Organize the articles in a logical manner within the journal.
- Discuss ideas for new columns with board members.
- Make sure that the theme of each article is appropriate for the journal.
- [X] salary
- [X] vacation days
- Sick, personal, and parental leave
- Child and elder care
- Health insurance
- Retirement plans
- Professional development
- [X] year(s) experience working as an editor.
- Avid reader of similar, competing journals.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Superb writing and editing skills in [X] language and familiarity with the content.
- Excellent command of MS Office, InDesign, and other publishing tools.
- A proven track record of handling a variety of publication management tasks.
- [X] degree in Journalism or relevant fields.