Diversity and inclusion have become essential in the workplace, as both employees and companies strive to work in a fair, inclusive, and supportive workplace.
There are a lot of aspects to think about when looking at diversity, and it can be overwhelming and daunting for HR professionals to set up an inclusive workforce without falling into the trap of tokenism and empty words just to attract and retain talent.
But before diving into that, we need to define what diversity and inclusion (or DE&I) stands for.
What is diversity, equity and inclusion?
DE&I is the celebration and support of what makes individuals different, no matter their race, gender identity, age, and more.
This concept has become an important aspect for companies to focus on. A diverse and inclusive workforce has many benefits, including employee engagement, retention, higher productivity, and an attractive employer brand.
Diverse teams also have fresh and different perspectives that can help improve your workflow, product, and overall company output.
Read on to learn how to introduce diversity and inclusion in your company and maintain it to make sure your company is truly inclusive.
Introducing Diversity and Inclusion in the workplace
So you have noticed that your company has been struggling with diversity. Maybe you have done an employee survey, and it was flagged as an issue, or diverse employees have been leaving at a faster rate.
Find out the first steps towards introducing and maintaining diversity and inclusion in your workplace:
- How to develop a diversity training program
- 5 strategies for managing diversity in the workplace
- 12 ways to improve your diversity recruiting strategy
- 10 effective ways to promote equity in the workplace
- 6 diversity metrics you should be measuring
Diversity and inclusion start from the hiring process. Hiring managers and recruiters need to be aware of their biases (whether unconscious or not) and implement collaborative hiring to help hire a diverse set of candidates.
Read some of our best content discussing how to create a diverse company, including steps to write an inclusive job description and run an inclusive recruitment campaign.
- 6 hiring biases your team might not be aware of
- Talent Talk | Achieving an unbiased hiring process: The power of combining HR tools
- How to implement a blind hiring program
- How to leverage AI to eliminate unconscious bias in recruitment
- 5 tips to run inclusive recruitment campaigns for your business
- Reaffirming diversity and inclusion hiring efforts post-Covid
- 11 Ways to create Inclusive job descriptions
- 12 Sample Diversity Questions for Interviews
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
If you are based in the United States, you might be interested in becoming an Equal Employment Opportunity. Learn about upholding EOC regulations and EEO laws:
- How to draft an equal opportunity employer statement (plus samples!)
- How to become an equal opportunity employer with Recruitee
- Diving into Equalture’s D&I Certification Program
Company culture is essential to ensuring diversity is recognized and respected. By working to prevent and reduce workplace discrimination, your employees will feel engaged, supported, and productive.
Read on to learn all the aspects of creative and inclusive workplace culture, including supporting different sexual identities, gender, age, and more:
- How to prevent workplace discrimination in 5 ways
- Psychological safety at work: what it is and 10 steps to create it
- How HR professionals can provide better support to single parents
- What is culture add in hiring? A complete guide
- 9 Steps to create an inclusive workplace culture
- Age discrimination in the workplace: Facts, examples and how to prevent it
- The challenges of recruiting from a multigenerational talent pool
- Breaking down generational differences in the workplace
Disability & neurodiversity
- 8 inclusive hiring tips to support disability inclusion in the workplace
- 3 tips on hiring people with disabilities
- How to embrace and support neurodiversity in the workplace
Are you looking for webinars and podcasts to deepen your understanding of diversity and inclusion? Find all our extra resources down below.
- Making an impact with your D&I initiatives
- Recognizing and addressing hiring bias in recruitment
- Deep dive into diversity and inclusion
- Diversity & inclusion in the workplace
- Tackling remote discrimination
- Attracting and retaining top talent with Greenpeace
- Webinar: Unbiased hiring with Recruitee
- Can AI-assisted recruitment reduce bias?
- Does diversity equal inclusion in the workplace?
- Intersectionality in the workplace